Breast is Best: Weekend PollBy: wheatmeister
A recent news story tells of a YW leader who was released from her calling for breastfeeding her baby in a room full of young women. She has also been threatened with the loss of her temple recommend if she doesn’t leave meetings to feed her baby. Scott Trotter, LDS media spokesperson, was caught off guard when asked for comment and replied, “WTF??” Just kidding.
What he really said:
“Countless thousands of mothers have been accommodated in church for generations, simply by everyone observing common sense, discretion and respect. We have received no information about this incident.”
In typical PR fashion, this response allows everyone involved to think he or she is the one behaving with common sense, discretion and respect while the other party is behaving absent those qualities. It is a media classic!
What do you think of breastfeeding in church? (choose up to 4)
- It's perfectly natural. No need to cover up and make the baby hot under a blanket while it is eating. Breastfeeding is not sexual. (60%, 105 Votes)
- Whether to cover up or not is strictly a cultural norm. If people are getting uptight about it, they have the problem. (55%, 96 Votes)
- For a church focused on motherhood, we don't show mothers much respect. (52%, 91 Votes)
- It's natural, but I would prefer women cover with a sheet or use the mother's room so we don't see her breast. (37%, 65 Votes)
- Women have been given plenty of accommodation in the church as it is. All we ask is that they cover up and enjoy the privilege of being a woman. (6%, 11 Votes)
- Men don't get to wave their private parts around. Women are just looking for an excuse to show their naked breasts to people. (1%, 2 Votes)
- I'm not a fan of breastfeeding. Bottle is good enough and less messy. (1%, 1 Votes)
- A woman who exposes her breast in church to feed a baby should be disciplined and not hold callings. (1%, 1 Votes)
- Breastfeeding is a disgusting, private behavior, like sex or going to the bathroom. (1%, 1 Votes)
Total Voters: 175