This is the second guest post from Justin. He also blogs at LDS Anarchy.
I have always known that polygamy would naturally follow on the heels of legalized same-gender marriage, and I’ve predicted in the past [though not as a prophecy] that, when both are legalized by the government, the LDS church would begin sanctioning same-gender marriages in LDS meetinghouses and temples before they would ever reinstitute/allow polygamous marriages.
I think they shut the door so hard on polygamy that if a change is made to begin solemnizing these other forms of marriage once they’re legalized — then they’d go with same-gender marriages but continue to cite Official Declaration 1 as reason against polygamous ones.
What's your opinion on the relationship between legalized same-gender marriage and legalized polygamy -- especially as it relates to what you think the LDS church is going to do and/or what it should
- I'm against both legalized same-gender marriage and polygamy; and am against church acceptance of both (27%, 21 Votes)
- I am for legalized same-gender marriage and its acceptance in the church; but am against legalized polygamy and its church acceptance (26%, 20 Votes)
- I am for both legalized same-gender marriage and polygamy; and for church acceptance of both (17%, 13 Votes)
- I am for legalized same-gender marriage and polygamy; but am against church acceptance of both (16%, 12 Votes)
- I am for legalized polygamy and its acceptance in the church; but am against legalized same-gender marriage and its church acceptance (14%, 11 Votes)
Total Voters: 77