Female Education (Weekend Poll)By: wheatmeister
Studies show very clearly that the higher the education level for women, the fewer children they have. Yet women in the church are encouraged to focus on motherhood while also getting as much education as possible. A recent Catholic article outlined six reasons women should not be sent to college.
By contrast, why does the Mormon church encourage women to get an education? To what end?
What is the point of female education in the church? (choose all that apply)
- So they can achieve their full potential as human beings and have an enriched life. (87%, 67 Votes)
- So they can support themselves or a family financially in whatever way is needed. (86%, 66 Votes)
- So their minds can be broadened and develop a love of learning that will serve them throughout life. (84%, 65 Votes)
- So they can contribute to society outside the home and have a sense of accomplishment. (69%, 53 Votes)
- The exact same reasons male education is important. (64%, 49 Votes)
- So they will have ideas to make the world a better place. (62%, 48 Votes)
- So they can become Goddesses and Priestesses, able to co-create worlds. (48%, 37 Votes)
- So they can get married by attending a church school. MRS degree. (25%, 19 Votes)
- So they can teach their children. Degrees not related to child-rearing are a waste for women. (21%, 16 Votes)
- Different reasons than why male education is important. (18%, 14 Votes)
- So they can make interesting conversation for their husbands. (9%, 7 Votes)
Total Voters: 77
If women actually start completing their education as the church encourages, will women delay marriage and have fewer children as studies indicate is to be expected? Are there some degrees women should be more or less encouraged to pursue? Should women & men both incur debt to complete a degree?